Mother Teresa of Calcutta Statue carved with a Very Similar Face and her Characteristic Wooden Robe; Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, born in what is now Macedonia to an Albanian family, realized her desire to become a missionary nun at the age of 18 and entered the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Loreto. She left for Ireland in 1928 and a year later arrived in India. In 1931 she took her first vows, taking the new name of Sister Marie Thérèse of the Child Jesus (chosen for her devotion to the saint of Lisieux), and for about twenty years she taught history and geography to the students of the college of Entally, in the eastern part of Calcutta. On September 10, 1946, while she was travelling by train to Darjeeling for spiritual exercises, she felt the "second call": God wanted her to found a new congregation. On August 16, 1948 she left the college to share the lives of the poorest of the poor. Her name has become synonymous with a sincere and disinterested charity, lived directly and taught to all. From the first group of young people who followed her, the congregation of the Missionaries of Charity was born, and later expanded to almost all over the world. She died in Calcutta on September 5, 1997. She was beatified by St. John Paul II on October 19, 2003, and finally canonized by Pope Francis on Sunday, September 4, 2016.
Roman Martyrology: In Calcutta, India, Blessed Teresa (Agnes) Gonhxa Bojaxhiu, virgin, who, born in Albania, quenched the thirst of Christ abandoned on the cross by her immense charity toward her poorest brothers and sisters and established the Congregations of the Missionaries and the Missionaries of Charity at the full service of the sick and disinherited.